Friday, October 24, 2014

Silencing the Voices of Negativity

Jenna from the Blog 'Stop, Drop and Blog' wrote a post about the negative voices we hear in our head everyday and it inspired me to write down my own thoughts with the hope of being able to let go of the belief that I am less than. Here's a link to her blog if you'd like to read what she wrote. http://stopdropandblog.com/2014/10/21/voices/

The voices in my head are my subconscious talking to me and I listen.  Psychologist Pierre Janet argued that underneath the layers of critical thought functions of the conscious mind lay a powerful awareness that he called the subconscious mind.[1]   I'm taking a bit of a risk sharing my negative thoughts but I would venture to say anyone reading has their own set of thoughts they fight to not believe.  I've always been pretty transparent on my blog. This is me being very vulnerable.

What do I hear?

You have no purpose.

You are unloveable.

You are too emotional.

You're a bad mom.

You're a bad wife.

You're a bad friend.

Everything is your fault.

You do not meet expectations.

You are not enough.

You're ugly.

You deserve to be unhappy.

You're not a strong enough Christian.

You are selfish.

No one cares.

Give up.

You'll always be broken.

It's like a recording that is stuck on repeat.  The same things over and over again.  Even the healthiest people fall victim to this now and then.

So I am sitting here with these words that I have written and thinking that it kind of feels good to let them out!  I'm going to let them hang out on paper and refer back to them as I ask them to leave and replace them with affirming thoughts because our thoughts cause our feelings.  Now that I am aware of this, I can choose a better thought or feeling.

I'm not going to let these fears keep me from being happy and doing what I love.  I'm not going to let them keep me from giving and receiving love and friendship and acceptance.  They will not let me miss out on life.

What am I?

I am strong.

I am brave.

I am worthy.

I am loved.

I am imperfect and I am forgiven.

I have big emotions.

I am the best mom I know how to be.

I am cherished by my husband.

I am funny.

I am compassionate.

I try very hard and I rarely give up.

I know how to pick great friends.

I'm good at encouraging others

Perhaps you need to do a similar exercise?  Go for it!

You matter!




1. Wikipedia

4 comments:

shelbyclarkeblog said...

Beautiful post of encouragement I needed this! Thank You!

Jennifer Corter said...

This is an incredibly beautiful post. I too have lived with these same types of negative voices. It is so brave of you to put them out there and fight them with the positive affirmations!

Lovelyladyjb said...

This is a great post! Whenever I get thoughts like that, I know that it is not from my father above, but the enemy who wants to keep me in a place of doubt and without confidence in our father! This is a great exercise to see the thoughts head on and declare that you don't have to accept them. Love it!

Julie S. said...

Lovely post! Gotta remember to kick negativity in the butt and think about all the good things that are going on to put our minds in the right frame.

Post a Comment