Thursday, March 20, 2014

Choosing Joy

Today is the first day of Spring.  In Minnesota we have new snow on the ground that arrived yesterday.  It's been a long winter with something like 59 days below zero and a lot of snow.  The other day I heard a bird chirping outside and it was a beautiful sound!  We're hearty people, us Minnesotans but we have had enough!  I could keep complaining but I refuse to.

Spring is my favorite season and there is so much to look forward to.  The other day my son and I both had the stomach flu.  We spent the whole day in my room sleeping and watching movies.  He made a sign for my door that said we were sick and not to come in.  I think he liked having me to himself even if we were both sick.  It was adorable!


Yesterday while a few more of my family members were sick with the stomach flu and I was busy cleaning carpets and doing laundry, I was actually grateful. My little one just wanted me to sit by her as she slept and I secretly liked that she was sick because this sweet girl never stops moving but yesterday she just wanted to be still with me by her side.  It was precious.  Incidentally, today she is singing 'Let it Go' from Frozen at the top of her lungs and that's precious too:)


I looked out the window at the snow and decided neither the snow nor the flu would get the best of me.    Spring is coming, soon the snow will melt, the flowers will come up and I'll be wearing capris and flip flops which are my favorite!  I picked up my computer and decided to make a list of all of my favorite things.

The color Blue, iced tea, lipstick, chocolate, bows, cake batter chap stick, Baskin Robbins Chocolate Peanut butter ice cream, flowers, glitter, posting encouraging Bible verses around my house, date nights, watching my kids find their passions, friends, a fruity martini, painting and decorating a room, helping someone, family time, laughter, giving gifts, concord grapes, the beach, hockey games, playing broom ball, roller coasters, jewelry, wedge shoes, vacations, garage sales, kayaking, falling asleep on my husbands chest, talking with my kids, one on one time with my kids, pink starburst, Italian food, when friends call instead of text, the ocean, cuddling with my kids, having company, my husbands smile, floating on a raft, cruises, flip flops, fuzzy socks, sitting by a fire, lazy Saturdays with my family, going out to eat, watching soccer, getting lost in a good book, crime shows, Jimmy Fallon, watching Chopped, dolphins, grace, mercy, pear and marshmallow jelly beans, my family, blue skies, gymnastics and friends who really know me and are reading this list not surprised by any of my answers.

Making this list was very therapeutic for me.  Life is hard and we never know what each day will bring.    Reflecting on the things I love and choosing joy is so much better than grumbling about another snowy day.

What are some of your favorite things?


3 comments:

White Lace and Promises said...

Sweet babies. I had a God-moment as I was reading your post. Just like our Father to want us to just curl up beside Him and rest in Him-especially when we're sick and tired and weary. Thank you for this thought.

Carol OurSearsKitHome said...

Spring, birdsong, sunshine, cat antics and shenanigans, home canned goods, gardening, fire in the fireplace, chocolate, working in the kitchen, watching the seasons transition, morning cup of coffee, things that sparkle, being home.
Forging ahead with joy,
Carol

Jamie said...

Sorry to hear you guys were sick. Adorable "do not disturb" sign!

My favorite things are family, hot baths, and the smell right before it rains.

Post a Comment