Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Me I See



Every once and a while I look at my life and think to myself that "this is not the life I had envisioned for myself". Sometimes it's the big things like moving 5 times to different states. Sometimes it's something small like having a child who needs very little sleep; even less than that of the parents.

Then I wonder about the unrealistic nature of my thoughts. What did I think life would be like? I guess I just thought life wouldn't be so tough. The Bible says; John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

I remember that this world is not my home, I'm just passing through and I am not suppose to be too comfortable here. Philippians 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Ok so maybe things don't always go as this self proclaimed control freak would have them go. The question that I can't stop thinking about is this: Am I the person I envisioned myself to be? I'm talking in a spiritual sense. The honest answer is that I've got work to do.

Lately I've been feeling convicted to stop focusing on the things I can't change and start looking at changing what I can about myself.

I want to be stronger in my faith, more bold about what I believe, more Christ-like and involved with a community of christian women who challenge me to grow in my faith.

My son who's at Teen Challenge is required to do a certain amount of Bible reading and studying each day. At our last visit, I brought a Bible trivia game and he left us in the dust with all of his knowledge. I started to call him Cliff Claven(remember him from the tv show Cheers?) because of all the random Biblical history he was spouting. Secretly, I was wishing I could do that. I miss my days in Bible College where it wasn't uncommon to stay up late discussing a Biblical topic until late in the night.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to grow. Won't you join me?

2 comments:

Charissa Steyn said...

Definitely joining you!!! I love that everyday God brings so many opportunities in our lives to GROW!! It's actually amazing if we stop and see them all :)

www.brendayoder.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for your honesty. Thank you for sharing your son is at Teen Challenge. A friend's husband is there right now. It's been life transforming. I think all of us think we know what our lives will be like, then life happens, and we are left holding the pieces. Thank you verbalizing what is not often heard in Christiandom.

Post a Comment