Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Dream Realized

When I was in Junior high my best friend and I enjoyed singing and performing our own made up shows. We spent hours and hours creating and performing plays. We loved the television show 'Fame', which was a series in the mid 80's. It included a mixture of drama and music. It followed the lives of the students at the fictional New York City High School for the Performing Arts. We watched every episode and we dreamed of the opportunity to attend a school like that. When I entered high school I chose to focus on gymnastics and cheerleading and never did pursue acting. End of story, or so I thought.



Enter my son Sterling, who has had a love of the theatre since he was 3 years old. His first theatrical love was 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolored Dreamcoat'. We owned the studio produced version with Donny Osmond as Joseph and it was an ever present video for a good year in our home. He would sing the songs and act out the play. He was Pharoah when he wore underwear on his head and there were boxer briefs he wore sideways to look like a loincloth when he was Joseph. We were expected to know the difference. Then, when he was 5 he was cast as a sheep in Joseph put on by our local community theatre. I remember when he was in first grade we took him to see Joseph live. We had front row seats. I sat next to him and he sang every word to every song through the whole show. Watching him enjoy himself was a memory I'll cherish forever! He has been in many different plays since the age of 5.

Sterling is entering high school and will be attending St. Paul Conservatory for Performing Artists. Their mission is to 'provide a world-class professionally guided academic and artistic environment to train aspiring pre-professional performing artists in the areas of instrumental and vocal music, theatre and musical theatre'. It is a wonderful charter school located in the Rice Park area of St. Paul MN and partly sponsored by The Ordway.

Sterling chose to attend this school because of his love for musical theatre. I am amazed at the broad range of opportunities to choose from in the arts at this school. I'm so proud of him for pursuing his passion!

He will also be performing this fall in the production of 'Mean' which is a show about bullying and produced by the Youth Performance Center

0 comments:

Post a Comment