Sunday, April 17, 2011

I Crack Myself Up

It was a rare afternoon for me, I was without children. We were trying out a new babysitter with the hope of me being able to have a break here and there from the ever present parenting needs of my 3 year old twins. Most of the time I get through my days feeling a bit out of control and trying so hard to not let that show on the outside. I have visions of myself looking like this: there is toilet paper hanging out of the back of my pants, my hair looks cute in the front but I didn't realize that I didn't even touch a brush to the back and it's a virtual birds nest. I have dried snot on the front of my shirt, maybe a big white spot of Desitin on one pant leg. My make up is lacking mascara, which is my most important piece of cosmetics due to my very fair skin and long, but almost invisible eyelashes.

I got "cute" as my teenage daughter would say, having planned my entire spring outfit around a specific pair of sandals.

As I put them on I realized that the bottom of one shoe had separated from the rest of the shoe. No problem, that's what super glue is for! Unfortunately for me the super glue was nowhere to be found. There was NO way I was changing my outfit, so I did what any self respecting woman would do and found some clear packing tape and taped my shoe. In my defense, you couldn't tell, but I knew!

I drove rather aimlessly with no apparent agenda. I ended up shopping at one of my favorite stores but not the kind where I can bring the kids. As I left the store, I spotted a newly opened ice cream store and it was 70 in Minnesota, a perfect day for some ice cream! I walked in and ordered my favorite chocolate peanut butter ice cream on a sugar cone.

By now I am feeling pretty awesome! The sun was shining beautifully and my heart was happy. I opened my car door to get in and instead of switching my cone to my empty hand, I pulled my shoulder strap of my purse around my cone, not realizing I had essentially dragged it across my Coach purse. Still in a great mood, I enjoyed my cone in the car. When I was finished, I examined the damages. My purse, my pants AND my blouse. Nothing was going to ruin this afternoon for me so I headed to the Target bathroom and cleaned my purse and myself up. If you were in the restroom and you heard me giggling and thought I was weird, I apologize. It's just that I crack myself up! I try to be this classy lady who kind of knows what she's doing and sometimes it just doesn't happen!

I now head back out to my car because in my hurry to clean the mess I'd made, I had forgotten the real reason I was there which was to match some tops to go with some skirts for my daughter.
I pushed my cart out with me and parked it gently up against my car. The next thing I know my cart with my purse is gone. I notice it is racing down the middle of the parking lot and a car is chasing after it with someone trying to open her door to catch it. Her door wouldn't open because they were driving right next to the cart and from inside I heard someone exclaim "I can't open my door!" Now, I'm not making this stuff up. This really happened! I was laughing hysterically when they caught my cart and walked it over to me. I continued with my shopping still basking in the peace that comes with being alone and doing simple mundae tasks without the aide of children.

As I left Target once again to put away my groceries, I realized that I had left my cell phone inside. So once again I turned around and went in to search for it. Once I found it, I headed home. Keep in mind, that despite these circumstaces, I am having a fabulous day!

STOP: It hit me that this entire experience by myself would have driven my nerves to be totally on edge should I have had my 3 year old twins with me. I sat in my car and it hit me. WIth 2 toddlers, the exact same situation woud have been catastrophic and stessful.

My sister in law is reading a devotional on how to become more healthy in how you perceive things and how you let them get to you. There is an example of being a person who is constantly running from one thing to another to being someone who floats along the river in a relaxed setting allowing both mind and body to rejuvenate. One paragraph in Webster's Dictionary defines the world perspective as a view or prospector.

On this day I choose to be thankful for free time away from my children to allow me to float figuratively in a boat peace momentarily on the river relaxing. I'm thankful for the laughter of that day and for and for my ability to see it as such.

Lamentations 3:22-23 -
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

3 comments:

rachel said...

thanks for sharing this :)

Sally Bacchetta said...

I loved reading this, and I know exactly what you're talking about! Mindfulness... it's so worthwhile!

Chantelle said...

This reminds me of a devotional I came across called "The Little Foxes That Steal Your Joy"...Some of us become upset over things that just are not worth becoming upset over--those "little foxes, that spoil the vines." (Song of Solomon 2:15) If lives consist of becoming upset over one little thing after another that really don't matter, we don't have much peace & joy.
You didn't let the 'foxes steal your joy'!...you were still enjoying your day & thankful...This post made me Smile ;) ~CC

Post a Comment