Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Reflection

I'm really excited about Thanksgiving this year.  I don't know if I can properly put into words how I feel but I'm going to do my best.

This time last year was our first Thanksgiving in Minnesota.  I was deeply grieving the move and looking back, I was slowly sinking into major depression.  I was trying to be happy because moving home to Minnesota where all of our family lives had been my dream for the past 19 years.  My husband had given up a thriving medical practice that he loved to move because it was what I wanted.  He was frustrated with me because I got what I wanted and yet I was miserable.

In our married life we have moved 4 times to 4 different states.  We've lived away from family and therefore had created our own "families" each time we moved.  When we moved to Minnesota from Indiana we had been there for 14 years.  I had known my children's friends since most of them were born.  We were very connected.

Upon returning to our hometown, I found that my family really didn't know me at all and my college friends had 19 years of shared experiences that I didn't have.  All of which only added to my feeling of loneliness.

Fast forward through a year that has included financial strains, major depression, a lot of stress, one child undergoing drug treatment, 6 children learning their way in this new life, the loss of a beloved pet, some rocks in our marriage,  a totaled vehicle and a miraculously unscathed child.

I am healthy and happy in a way I haven't been in quite sometime.  My son is 4 1/2 months drug free and working hard to remain that way.  My husband and I have worked through hurt and anger to find we have a new appreciation for each other.  It's like being newlyweds only we have 6 kids!  There are some really neat new friends in my life which is amazing because for me, friends are like air, I must have them!   I'm getting to know my family and they me.  It's wonderful to have them nearby. I am so thankful for all they have done for me this past year.

It's amazing the difference one year can make!  I feel so appreciative of the people and the things around me.  I had a strange dream last night but perhaps it will help you understand how I am seeing things.  In my dream, I was pointing out the beautiful things around me and people were laughing at me because they were just ordinary everyday things, but to me they seemed amazingly beautiful!

This year when I give thanks, it will be for my husband, family, friends, health, children and safety of my family.   I really hope it doesn't sound trite.  The depth of my thankfulness is so great that I won't be able to do it justice with words, but God knows my heart.


Psalm 30:11-12
 You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
 that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

3 comments:

Faith said...

That is beautiful Gina. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!

Lynnie said...

Awesome! I have been where you are. We have moved 7 times in 13 years with the military and even been through the "selling a practice" and my husband's crazy mid-life crises. God led me through the hardest times and even though I still have the scars, I am stronger and more focused on Him than ever before. Sounds like you are too!!!! Yay God!

rachel said...

I am so thankful for God's provisions that are greater than our expectations. His plan and how it works out in our lives teaches us so much in the here and now, in hindsight, and for the future. Our Father is so good, loving, and just - exactly what we need.

Post a Comment