Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Finding Joy

I love Christmas, but if I'm being totally honest, there is a lot of stress associated with the Holiday season. For some people, Christmas is a sad and depressing time of year, for others it's stressful or lonely. The financial strain, the busyness and sometimes family issues can be tough this time of year. My fellow blogger Sarah Markley is encouraging us to recognize the joy in our life that is already there. I try hard to be a positive person but sometimes it's easy to get buried under all of the stress of life. I am joining Sarah in her quest to recognize the joy that is right in front of us.

This morning I awoke to the sound of a snowplow outside my window. It is a sound I have known my whole life and it makes me excited to get out of bed and look outside. It was picturesque! The snow was bright and each branch of the trees had a beautiful white layer. It's one of my favorite things about winter!
The view out my backdoor this morning

I am lucky enough to be a stay home mom at this point in my life and there was not anywhere tht we had to be today. I got to have time alone with Rya this morning because Roman slept about 2 hours longer than she did. We played and talked and giggled. I marvel at how precious she is and I love watching her grow. I didn't let Roman take a nap because he's been so hard to get to sleep at night so we had some time together. He needs one on one time and I love listening to him "think out loud". He's so smart! One of the ways he shows love is to come up and ask for a high five, then to pound knuckles, give a kiss and then a hug. It's always in that order. If I ask for a kiss, I get the whole routine.

There's a fire in the fireplace and I'm snuggled under a blanket with Hannah listening to my two year olds have a conversation about what is a "boy thing" and what is a "girl thing". This particular conversation was about the color of socks. They tend to banter back and forth like a grouchy old married couple. I am very aware of the gift that they are in our lives. It was three years ago this week that we were asked to be their parents. Oh how it has changed our lives!

I got to Christmas shop yesterday at the Mall of America with my mom and sisters, an annual tradition that we all look forward to. Hannah was home with the twins. It's very interesting having teenagers and toddlers at the same time. I never know what new things they will learn from the "big" kids. Today they showed me something new Hannah taught them. She asked a series of questions and they answered appropriately. "Where's your clavicle? Where're your ribs? Where's your phalanges? Where's your gluteus maximus? Now shake it"! That made me laugh really hard!

Lastly, I feel very blessed to have Hannah home from school after attending only half days this year. She and I get to spend a lot of time together. I have no idea what next year will bring or where she will be but for now I love each day I get with her. She is so special to me!

I am choosing to not focus on the cereal spilt on the floor, the fact that my insurance company hasn't yet sent us a check for the vehicle my son totaled last month or the call from my husband saying he wouldn't be home until 11 p.m. tonight. Those are in fact part of this day but they will not steal the joy of all that is good in my life.

2 comments:

rachel said...

this is wonderful gina :) i read this to start my day and am so thankful for it! i woke up exhausted and grumpy - i know i can focus myself better regardless of my lack of sleep, my entire day away from mylin, and the clients i see and the test i take today. i love this time of year because of the unique feelings we get - i hope to encounter those more today!

Crown of Beauty said...

What a precious post this is. This is my first time here, and yet as I read your words, I did not feel strange or out of place. Thank for the warm feeling that your blog gives!

Glad I dropped by today.

Blessings,
Lidj

Post a Comment