Saturday, October 23, 2010

Not Just Any Saturday

This morning my husband and I were planning to go to a corn maze and a pumpkin patch with the children and enjoy a family day.  Our son Spencer would be the only one unable to go with us as he was heading to do some work for a friend.
I received a phone call around 10 a.m. stating that Spencer had been in a car accident and had rolled his SUV and landed upside down in a ditch.  It turns out the car rolled twice.  He was suspended by his seat belt.    We immediately headed for the hospital.
Years ago I worked as a social worker in a Trauma Center and my job involved calling families whose loved ones had been in an accident and then meeting them upon arrival to the ER serve as an intermediary between the medical staff and family.  I've seen car accident victims and my mind began to flashback to many situations I'd witnessed.  I knew to expect anything.
 Spencer was able to call us right after the accident and the Sheriff explained the damage to the vehicle and that he looked ok but was being taken to the hospital by EMS.  That was reassuring but then again I've seen people who were awake and alert following an accident who suddenly lost consciousness due to a head injury.
I was relatively calm.  Spencer was on a backboard and wearing a cervical collar when we saw him.  He had a tiny scratch on both knees and one on his hand. He was cracking jokes.  All medical tests came back clear.  Praise the Lord!
We headed to where the car had been towed to see the car and retrieve some items.  The vehicle is totaled.  This is the point when I fell apart.  When I saw the damage to the car, it hit me just how bad the accident was.
At that moment I re-lived the pain of sending him to drug treatment back in June and how we've "got Spencer back" only recently.  He is beginning to thrive at his new school, with new friends and an increased confidence in himself and in life.  I'm loving the time we spend together and how he likes to tell me about what's going on in his life!  I don't worry about him all the time like I used to.
Ok, so now maybe I'm going to worry a little more about his safety but I'm a mom, who can blame me?
Many years ago a brick dropped from a shelf in our garage and hit my son Sterling, who was 3 at the time in the head resulting in a lot of blood, a trip to the ER and some stitches.  I was pretty shaken up.  Later in the day we stopped at a gas station and Sterling looked at the cashier and said "Today my parents almost lost me".
On our way home with Spencer today, we stopped at Panera for some food.  I had this overwhelming urge to tell the cashier that 'today we almost lost Spencer'.
I am sitting in my living room next to Spencer feeling so incredibly thankful!  Two year old Roman just laid down next to Spencer on the couch and said "Spencer cuddle me".   I'm still a bit weak in the knees but at the same time I am giddy with joy.  All of my children are here and safe, my sweet husband too!

Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; 
       the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

7 comments:

ariyana9501 said...

So glad that he is okay, I can't imagine the scare that something like that could cause. I love you Gina!

Tonya said...

Oh Gina, thank God indeed. When we lost Brian's dad the van looked like your SUV...thankfully Spencer was wise enough to wear his seatbelt...something a lot of kids refuse to do when driving on their own, or so my students tell me. Thank God, thank God, thank God.

Anonymous said...

Gina...very thankful to read it he okay! Tonight Steve and I went to the mall, a man walked by me and the first thought that came to mind was...boy that looks like Kevin. Now I know why God was giving me the sign of thinking of you and your family night. PRAISE THE LORD he is well!! So sweet of Roman to ask him to cuddle him...heart melting moement for me! Lori

Anonymous said...

Gina you are not only a wonderful mother and an inspiration you also have a God given ability to communicate. I felt like I was there. Spencer was part of my life for two years and it touched me so to read his story...what he is doing and how things are going for him. I cannot tell you how much it blesses me to know these things. I miss seeing your blondies, but I know they are in good hands. Our Messiah is good indeed. :)
Just about all the Lind's 2nd grade teacher, Jana :)

emily wierenga said...

gina... this broke my heart into a thousand shards... oh, friend, how awful, and how wonderful, at the same time--life, it's so fragile, no? and as mamas, we're always having to let go. thank you, for sharing. and for commenting on my blog, so i could find your quiet place here. i'm blessed by you. e.

Faith said...

Praise the Lord that Spencer was okay! Sending hugs and extra prayers your way.

Desiray said...

The Lord was there the whole time with Him...thank you Jesus for your protection...

Post a Comment