Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A RED LETTER DAY


Some of the best moments in life happen when we least expect it and with no planning on our part. I was sitting on my bed, working on my computer when my 17 year old daughter Hannah came in and said "I just need my mom". She crawled under the covers and became my little girl again, if only for a while. I'm sure I don't need to tell you this is not an ordinary occurrence for a 17 year old! Her independence is growing and her need for her mom not nearly as evident as that of my 2 year olds. I gladly basked in the moment, whispering encouraging words to her and feeling my heart swell with emotions for this child I love more than words can express.

Soon Rya, my two year old joined us. She wiggled her way in between us and began to talk 'big girl talk'. We laughed and shared with her some girl wisdom like "Boys are icky like spiders", to which her reply was "I like spiders!". We sang songs from Beyonce's 'Single Ladies' to ABC's to "Jesus, there is something about that name' and finally David Crowder's 'Oh Happiness', a family favorite that we can only seem to sing at the top of our lungs!

Que Linnea,age 11, the only missing female in the household. Somehow, she could sense from her room in the basement that she was missing out on the second floor. There was a wrestling match between the older girls to see who got to lay next to me. We had Rya count how many of us there were and then sang 'There were four in the bed' and tried to push each other out. We got really silly. We shared my secret stash of chocolate and it was great fun! It doesn't get much better than that!

I looked up the definition of a Red letter day. A memorably happy or noteworthy day (from the custom of marking holy days in red on church calendars) wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwnI've decided that this day will indeed go down as a red letter day on my calendar.

I've got David Crowder stuck in my head singing 'Oh Happiness' and it's the perfect way to end my day and thank God for his grace and the gifts he's given to me through my children. Tonight I am especially thankful that my kids want to spend time with me and that we can share in life's simplest moments, making long-lasting memories. I'm thankful for joy and laughter in our home!

Psalm 16:9
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure,

3 comments:

Veronica Lee said...

Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
Have a nice day!

Maryellen said...

Thanks for the reminder of "red letter" days. I have four girls too (plus a great son and a wonderful husband!) and it has been a hormonal mess around here the last few days! Today we get to have girl only time as the men go to watch football. I am shooting for a good one!

Carolyn said...

Oh Gina, I have a 13 to DD and a 3yo DD and I just crave those times of connection - they seem to be getting further and further apart and I know it is "normal" but I miss the time! - I might just have to go in to her & paint her nails or something!!
Thanks for sharing this lively moment!
Have a great week,
Hugs
C
Your

Post a Comment