Monday, September 20, 2010

Having a Life Verse Tim Hawkins-My favorite Bible verse


I was raised in a Christian home where I went to a Pentecostal church 3 times a week as well as attended Catholic School(that's a story for a different post!) Despite that, I had never heard of a 'life verse' before I went to college. I first heard it mentioned in a Bible class and then from a few kids around campus in what I thought was interesting "get to know you" conversation, "Hey, what's your life verse?" I felt like I had missed out on something very big! Where was I when people were getting these? Then I remembered that my family had name plaques on the wall and my name meant Queenly(which I thought was totally cool) and my verse was Proverbs 15:33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honor is humility. Over the years the Lord has taught and continues to teach me about humility. I did not choose that verse, though it has meaning to me.

I get the point of having a life verse. A couple of years ago my husband and I chose verses for each of our children and had them made into wooden plaques. We spent a lot of time choosing each one based on the child. It was meant to be a verse that encouraged them.

I can't say that I have a 'life verse' per se but I have many verses which have enriched my life.

I'm so thankful to Martha Hjelm, my neighbor growing up who brought me to Awana every week at the Baptist church in town. So many of the Bible verses that I can still recall today I learned in Awana. There are other verses that I know because they are a part of a song. I doubt I could recite all the verses I know off the top of my head, but I am amazed that they often come to my mind at the right time.

I have had many verses throughout my life which have meant something based on the time in my life.

Philippians 4:13 Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." I need this reminder daily.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. I love to be reminded of this verse when I feel frantic about what I'm doing and what I'm 'suppose' to be doing. It brings peace to my soul.

Psalm 84:3 Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young--a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God. This is such a beautiful verse that reminds me that God cares about things big and small.


James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows
. Love this!

Nehemiah 9:5 Stand up and praise the Lord your God, who is from everlasting to everlasting. Blessed be your glorious name, and may it be exalted above all blessing and praise.


Psalm 51:10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. This is a prayer I pray over and over because I am imperfect and need God's help!

Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Romans 8:18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. I'm reminded that we're just visitors here on Earth and it's not meant to be easy. I'm looking forward to meeting Jesus face to face!

Romans 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. This was one of my favorite songs from my childhood but more than that it is a comforting truth!

Psalm 89:1 I will sing of the LORD's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations. My parents are first generation Christians. It is my desire that their legacy will last through all generations.

Psalm 118:8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man. Amen!


Luke 12:48 To whom much is given, much is expected. I have been given much and I am very well aware of that.


Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Beautiful mental imagery!
Matthew 7:7 Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. We had a painting with this verse on our wall in my home growing up. I love this verse. I also loved the tender look on the face of Jesus in the painting. It's how I imagine Him to be.

Micah 6:8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
I'm currently memorizing this verse. It's important to know what is expected of us and I so desire to make God proud of me!

Psalm 19:14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. This verse is currently convicting me and I'm asking the Lord to teach me to be more pleasing to Him.

I could never possibly mention all of the things in the Bible which have meaning to be. In fact, I am often reading my Bible and discover a verse that I don't think I've seen before and am sure it was written just for me! Please feel free to share with me your favorite verse or verses. I'd love to hear them!

I love to laugh and really appreciate the humor of Tim Hawkins, so I've included a video of his about having a life verse. Enjoy!


7 comments:

Dana Mattingly said...

Gina, I called my mom and told her she was mentioned in your blog. I'm sure it made her day. We laughed because we drove that black Pacer and we had 3 kids of our own. Somehow mom packed it up like a clown car. I also remember we could sit in the back of my dad's pickup and sometimes we'd have the camper attached and we'd just throw lots of kids in there. We were like the hillbillies of Girard Ave! It was a good reminder to me that you never know whos life you may be affecting. Every little thing we do every day is a testimony to God.
PS I liked reading your verses and commentary too.

Manda said...

I love this story that Tim Hawkins shares with his audience... goodness, the first time I heard it I almost feel off my chair.
I'd say that my life verse is Romans 8:28!!!!

Nichole said...

I have never heard of a life verse either, although...

Matthew 7:7 Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

...is the verse that my husband read in front of my family on our first Christams Eve together. We both had went through a lot in our past relationships and were so happy to find each other, but when he read that verse everything seemed as it should be. His mom named all of her kids boys after names in the bible and of course my husband's name? Matthew! :)

Heather said...

I had never heard of Tim Hawkins before-wow is he funny! I watched a whole bunch of his stuff on youtube yesterday and then my kids did too-what a funny guy! Thanks for posting!

Playing Sublimely said...

Love this..and oh, by the way, your comment made me smile :)! EVERYTHING I do is something I have copied. Nothing is original under the sun :). Thanks for your sweet words.

tasiasmama said...

Hi
I have two blogs dealing with my past and present experiences as a recovering bi-polar ADD addict and thing I went through in the depths of my addiction. The websites are www.anaddictsinnerself.blogspot.com and www.dailymemoirstofindingmyinnerself.wordpress.com. I am looking for authors of blogs who write about addiction and recovery to check out my blogs and leave me helpful comments and possibly link me to their blogs if they find my experiences useful to their readers. Please take the time to see what I have to say. This are my true inner feelings and though at times they are hard to write they help me find myself and perhaps help another addict in the process.
Thank you for you time,
Tasiasmama

Debbie said...

Hi Gina - I love you post and indeed your blog. I've looked on your site for a way to get in contact with you but this is not immediately obvious. Perhaps you can drop me a note on my blog via the Contacts page and we can chat.

Many Blessings,
Debbie

Post a Comment