Friday, July 2, 2010

A Picnic, a Vigilante and a German Shepherd


I have to tell you something about myself. I am a bit of an adrenaline junkie. It has served me well in a few of my past jobs and sometimes I don't have to go looking for that rush of adrenaline, it finds me.

The other night we brought Dickey's BBQ to my twins' favorite park they call 'the purple park' because all the equipment is purple. We sat at a table and were eating when I began to witness a few drug deals take place around me. I was shocked! This is a park we visit several times a week for soccer games and to enjoy the great playground equipment. The social worker/vigilante in me came out first and called the police. It was my knee jerk reaction. At any given moment in my life no matter what the circumstances, I would have reacted the same way. It's who I am.

The mom of a child with a drug problem came out next and I was angry. A few of the kids I knew as "friends" of my son. I imagined the pain this would cause their parents. I also imagined that this may be an instrument of change for some of the kids.

Then the mom of toddlers playing at the park woke up and thought 'I wonder if this is safe?'.

My husband immediately knew what I was going to do. He handed me his cell phone and I called 911 to report the drug activity taking place. I continued to play with my little ones as I waited for the police to show up, all the while taking note of what is happening around me. It was unbelievable! Teenagers were literally coming out of the woods and within seconds have made their buy and then disappeared. There are so many teenagers that if I didn't know better I would think they were making their way to attend a sporting event in the nearby soccer fields.

The police show up and begin arresting kids and swarms of them take off in all directions. I tell the Police who ran where and where the drugs are(I have to admit I used to dream of being an undercover agent). Officers and the big German Shepherd narcotics dog were chasing them in all directions and in the end many kids were arrested. Seriously, all I wanted was a quiet evening with my kids at the park!

Our family is aware of the very real fight we are in against Satan and his cohorts. That night was a visual reminder of just how great that fight is. I felt like I have had flashbacks to things I remember reading in Frank Peretti's 'This Present Darkness" where he paints a great visual picture of the literal fight between good and evil in the spiritual realm for our souls. It's as if we got a glimpse of the evil that regularly surrounds us in the park that evening. I certainly could feel it. It brought me to my knees! It made me wonder what it would look like in our children's schools if we could see the daily fight that goes on around them and for them. Through all of this, I have wondered what more I can be doing for my son and my other children.

Eph 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.


Often, Christians don't like to talk about Satan. I wonder why not? He's VERY busy in our lives. He is the one we are fighting against. This experience gave me a urgency to pray not only for my current family situation but the daily struggles between good and evil in our life and the lives of our children.

After it was all over, I realized that it would be obvious that I had caused the drug bust. I probably should have worried but I realized that I had essentially stood up to Satan and said "I will NOT stand by and let you destroy the lives of more young people, my family included". I am in FIGHT mode, which means I am increasing my armor with fervent prayer.

A friend sent me a message sharing Isaiah 61 3 ...'To bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair".

I have to tell you that I was in such a place of despair when we first learned of our son's drug use. Today, I am filled with gladness and praise to God who gives us strength to do all things.(Phil 4:13)

Besides being physically exhausted, I am not depressed. Praise God!

Please join me in praying for a heightened awareness of the spiritual battles that are going on around us.

6 comments:

www.brendayoder.blogspot.com said...

Gina,

Thank you for this post. As a teacher as current case manager, I am often frustrated, but not shocked anymore at the drug use and moral engagement of kids, and parents, around me. Even for my own kids, it's constantly a reality check their world is not sheltered, and the choices they make will only come by their love and personal relationship with Christ. Period. Thanks for helping all of us remember that the struggle is not the drugs or the dealers, but the souls of everyone - Christians and non. You did a brave thing.

Christine said...

Gina...good for you! I love that passage in Ephesians. I use it a lot. I'm praying for your family.

annekcramer said...

Thank you, Gina, for standing up against the powers of darkness! We are on the winning side!!! I will continue to pray for you and your family. . .

So, I Begin this Journey...... said...

I will join your "fight mode"....{{and my German Shepherd Dog}}
Thank you for taking this action.
Perhaps it is the case worker in me as well that has seen the ugliness of our world. But it takes a strong person, and a very strong faith to fight this kind of war we are up against.

Prayers for your family.

LIs

editor said...

I really love this article.I think we all need the word of God to move on in life.It is the only book that cannot fade away.we all have to put on the put on the armour.Thanks

Peter Stone said...

I can't believe the audacity of these people to carry on like this in such a public place, but good on you for calling the police and shutting down there activities.
Good reminder that there is a very real war going on out there.

Post a Comment