Thursday, July 29, 2010

Oh Me of Little Faith


My mom and I sat on the porch talking prior to our visit to Indiana. I was telling her how much I've truly missed having friends who live nearby and how I couldn't wait to be with them again. I explained how during this past year, I have learned to depend on the Lord to fill that void and it has been good for me. That's not to say I won't be glad when I begin to build some Minnesota friendships.

I went on to explain that for me, relating with other women is one of my basic needs. Food, water, clothing, shelter and people/friends. I need to encourage and be encouraged. I need someone to vent to and bounce ideas off. I need someone who can laugh with me. In fact, in our relationships with other Christians, we can be Jesus to each other. John 13:15-17 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth no servant is greater than his master nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

We live in a new development. We are currently only one of 2 houses on our block. I don't have any neighbors. My mom, always the optimist, pointed out all of the potential for friends in our neighborhood with 6 houses yet to be build or occupied. She began to pray out loud asking God to bless the neighborhood and fill the homes with Christian families who would encourage one another and be a tight-knit, happy place to live.

I told her that when my best friend and next door neighbor Trina moved from IN to Phoenix, I shared with her that I knew God wouldn't take her from her friends and not give her a new one. Within a short time she met Dawn and they became fast friends. Not long after, God gave me Brande.

When we moved here, I didn't even worry about making friends. I thought it would just happen. I'm not going to lie, I was frustrated and I expressed that in no uncertain terms. I was also questioning why God has not given me a friend yet.

A short while later we took the twins on a walk through the neighborhood. As we turned the corner, I saw a woman standing in her yard and she waved and I waved back. Then I stopped. There was a real person! I asked if they had just moved in and they said yes. We proceeded to introduce ourselves and quickly learned we had a lot in common.
*She and her husband are Christians and have also been praying for the neighborhood.
*She has a 3 year old son they adopted from Ethiopia.(we have adopted twins and will soon have a niece from Ethiopia)
* She teaches voice lessons from her home. (I have 3 kids looking for a voice teacher)
*She goes to a church with a lot of people I grew up with.
* She and her husband had been praying the same prayers mom and I had for the neighborhood! She yelled to her husband as he drove in the driveway "Honey we have neighbors and they love Jesus!"

As we walked away my mom was giggling about how great God is. I was feeling a little ashamed for doubting Him.

The most encouraging thing was that I have a lot of things I'm seeking God for that are so much bigger and I know there isn't really an immediate answer to them.

This particular answer to prayer was God reminding me that I am important to Him and that he knows what I need.

Thanks Lord for showing me in both big and little small each day that you love me and that I matter to you!

5 comments:

ariyana9501 said...

<3 you Gina!

Dana Mattingly said...

He has more than you can ask for or even imagine. So glad He showed you a neighbor and new potential friend. He is so good. Hang in there. He plan is yet to be revealed.

Amber said...

Thank you, Gina! I needed to read that today. Jon and I have been through some very rough times lately & the one thing I have been longing for (friendship) seems to be the hardest thing to find. We have lost friends and don't even know why & we have no one else to fill that void right now. Jon just found out this week that he will be losing his job in the near future & I'm actually seeing this as a potentially GOOD thing because I hope & pray that it means God is preparing us for NEW and wonderful changes. I'd give anything for good friends and neighbors I know once again!

Candy said...

How Godly cool!!! The surprise itself is priceless. And so are good praying friends to pray for you and with you.I've only recently been blessed with a group of women whom I trust my private struggles with. Before that, my life revolved around my husband and children. It wasn't until my struggle with depression that I realized how important God centered friends are.
Lord Jesus, bless my friend Gina with the friendship she so desperately needs. Thank you for giving her a glimpse of what you have planned in her life. We love you, help us to remember that this life is all about you and how we can spread your love through our love for others. Your humble servant....Candy

Melissa said...

I can relate to this in so many ways! God has a way of providing exactly what we need, but in His timing, not ours.

I noticed in your sidebar that you're reading Plan B. Great book!

Post a Comment