Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Gift of Friendship


I have just returned from a short visit to Indiana which was my home for 14 of the last 15 years. One evening a friend had reserved a table and invited some of my friends. This particular group I doubt would be together on any other occasion. Their commonality was that of being friends with me. What an honor. It was an unforgettable evening! As I sat there and looked at the faces of these women, I wanted to bask in the moment. Each one of these women have a special place in my heart. I am better for knowing them. The photo above shows some of us that evening.

Throughout the past year I have greatly missed having friendships with a history. The kind where we know each others past, greatest struggles, families and what makes them laugh and cry. Friendships that are made over time and which will stand the test of time.

I have lived in 4 states. I have friends living in more than 12 different states. My friendships are an important part of my life. I have learned that they nurture many different sides of me. Some make me laugh, others promote growth in my spiritual walk, others make me aware of things I would have otherwise not known, a few have walked with me through the most difficult times of my life.

I have so many great friends, each one of them has left their mark on my heart. Some friendships happened instantly. Those are rare and amazing. Some friends have an amazing sense of humor that can make me laugh like no one else, even when I'm not suppose to be laughing! They allow me to be silly and stupid. Some friends are people I have chosen to call my family. I love my real friends. The ones who I can be myself with and not care about how I look or how my house looks or what time of the day or night I need them. Sometimes a neighbor can become a cherished friend. That's a beautiful surprise I have been blessed to have experienced.

I have friends who I have mentored and friends who mentor me. I have friends who challenge me to be a better Christ follower. I actually have a friend whom I have only ever met once but we worked together in adoption and relate by e mail or phone. She is uplifting, compassionate and a faithful person. I have many friendships I've made through my work in the field of adoption because I have come across some incredibly fabulous people who have truly changed me by their faith and their strength.

I have a friend from college who I roomed with for all 4 years. We are not much alike but we really like each other. She knows everything good and bad about me and she still loves me. She's who I want to be when I grow up. We are finally living close to each other and I love it!

I share this with you because my friends are important blessings in my life. I need friends like I need to breath. I thank God for the gift of friendship. Proverbs 27:17 says "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another".

3 comments:

ariyana9501 said...

Gina, I was SO happy to see you when you came back to Indiana for your visit. It meant a lot that you took time(precious time) out of your VERY busy schedule to spend with me. I love you and am so happy that you consider me a friend.

Veronica

Anne said...

Gina, we were childhood friends. We have not been in touch in over 30 years. Through your blog I see you have remained true to yourself, a true inspiration. You may not know this but in my pre-teen and teenage years I never really felt included. You were one of the people to teach me the true meaning of friendship. I cherish the time we spent together. I would consider it a gift to renew our friendship.
Anne

Gina Lind said...

I would love that Anne! Can you e mail me at ginalind@ymail.com?

Post a Comment