Monday, May 24, 2010

19 years!


Today Kevin and I are celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary. It's hard to believe that when I met Kevin at the young age of 18 I had any wisdom at all, but somehow I was wise enough not to let a man like Kevin get away!

After 19 years of marriage, it can be easy to lose some of the excitement we had when we were newlyweds. Admittedly we have. We're not crazy in love. Today, it runs so much deeper than that. Our marriage has withstood the test of time. We have survived living in poverty, 4 floods, medical school, a move to 4 states, major depression, 2 major surgeries, the birth of 6 children, serious illness of 1 child, the adoption of infant twins at age 39, living apart for more than one month on 3 different occasions(2 medical rotations and 1 where Kevin moved to start a job and we followed later), and parenting toddlers and teenagers at the same time. All of these things were or are very stressful. We have tried very hard to make sure we drew closer during the stressful times rather than drifted apart. Sometimes it was harder than others. One of the best things for us as a couple was moving away after we got married. We learned to leave and cleave and it has resulted in a good marriage. Life is hard but it's made a little easier sharing it with your best friend. Marriage is hard too. It takes a lot of work and good communication. Communication has been something we have struggled and continue to struggle with.

On our wedding day, Pastor Bud Lynch spoke on Ecclesiastes 4:12 . "Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." I will forever remember one of the things that he said "One Of Kevin, Gina and Jesus Christ". That sermon has resonated in my mind all these years and I do believe that without Jesus in our lives, our marriage would be so much different.

Kevin is incredible and amazing. Let me brag about him a bit. He loves the Lord and it shows through who he is. He loves me and it is obvious to anyone who knows us. He takes me out on dates regularly. He buys me "Happy Tuesday" gifts because he knows that gifts are one of my love languages. He is selfless in the true sense of the word. The other one of my love languages is acts of service. When my friends come to hang out at our house, he serves us and goes out of his way to make sure we're taken care of and having a good time. When he comes home from work, he takes over with the twins until bedtime. He's been known to make house calls to patients after hours because it's just the kind of person he is. He has very few hobbies because he feels it is his priority to be a husband and father. His famous saying is "It's not about me". His other saying is "Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry". That's a good one for this Italian girl to hear. He lives it too. He is VERY patient.

My biggest complaint is that we loved each other and got married to spend the rest of our lives together. We had children as a result of our love. Now that we have 6 children, we don't have a lot of time alone. I am always wanting more time. I appreciate the time we do have. We had a babysitter once who asked us what we did that night. We said we went out to dinner and grocery shopping. Her response was "That's not very romantic". Ironically, it was to us! I'm sure she'll understand one day.

It's every girls' dream to be loved by a man. When I dreamed about having a husband, I never would have imagined just how wonderful it would be to share my life with Kevin Lind. I love you Kev!

4 comments:

ariyana9501 said...

This is great Gina! Happy Belated Anniversary! Your story is a great one, and is very motivational!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Gina! He's a keeper! Been thinking of and praying for you...

Michelle

Anonymous said...

you are a true inspiration!! you have a gift gina .... expressing yourself with words!! wow! may god bless you and kevin with 19+19+19 more years..... Tari Okey

Jenny said...

Gina, what a wonderful post and tribute to Kevin! You're dead on - life is hard, marriage is hard, but a good marriage makes life so much better! We also moved far far away right after we were married (Chuck went to school in Wyoming), then ended up settling back here. But yes, moving away as young married kids, was the BEST thing we could have done. Not only have you all survived a lot as a couple, but you've thrived through it all.

There's been a few times since you've started blogging here that I've felt led to pray for not just you, but Kevin too and your marriage.

And yes, getting groceries without kids along is romantic!

Be blessed today!
Jenny

Post a Comment